To be one from five leading National Archives and library Agencies in African in 2020 where information resources of the country are systematically organized and the culture of utilizing information is developed in building democracy and development.
Acquire, organize, and preserve Information Resources and create a National Information system to avail the resources for study and research purposes to make the public beneficiary.
Effective and efficient Services Delivery
Transparent and participatory leadership
Respect professional ethics
Readiness for change.
Powers and Duties of the Agency Among Others:-
-Operate as a national repository centre of printed matter, gray literature, non printed documents, manuscripts, historical archives and records etc .
-Make efforts to bring to the country the original or copy of literary documents which were taken out of the country.
- Prepare publish and distribute the Ethiopian National Bibliography and periodicals index.
- Serve as a national registry centre of ISBN
- Function as a training centre to achieve its objectives.
- Work closely with national and international organizations to develop and promote professions pertaining to archives and library affairs.
- Serve as a repository centre for publication of international and national organizations as well as research institutions.
- Work in collaboration with state archives and libraries as well as public libraries established or to be established in regional administration.
- ensure the proper handling and safety of records in provenants.
- Nationalize archives which have national importance and which are in possession of individuals upon payment of compensation whenever the are exposed to man or natural disasters.
- Ensure that original archives and documentary heritage of the country are not taken abroad on a permanent basis; inspect copies and permit for their being taken out of the country.
- by concludin agreements with religious institutions and private persons, collect priceless and rare ancient manuscripts when this is not possible and make them available for study and research purposes.
NALA Organizational Chart